You may not Like it, but Online Shopping will be in our Future
Quote of the day: “I can’t understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I’m frightened by old ones.” John Cage
We’ve all read the news on how many brick and mortar stores are going out of business and closing their doors. And I doubt that they will all go away in the future. But in reality, the online shopping craze is going to be the wave of the future. It’s no different than how automobiles took over the horse and buggy. So let’s learn to drive this new beast!
I’ve written a couple of posts on this subject in the past, but I was inspired by 2 things recently to revisit this topic. One is the fact that Amazon has brought Whole Foods and means to take grocery shopping to a whole different level. This might not make you happy, but read on.
And two is the fact that I found out about Shop.co. I’m going to ask all of you to do me a personal favor. Download this free extension on either Chrome, Firefox or Safari. I’m asking you to do this for 2 reasons. One is I get a small commission if you do this through my link before the end of August. Two is that it can save you time and money. Let me give you more information. And I’ll break it down with the pros and cons for you below!
Details: Shop.co is an universal shopping cart
Just like having one remote is so much easier for your television viewing, having one cart for all of your online shopping is smart too! Think of the time you can save by not having to enter in all of your personal and credit card information for each purchase. It’s not a lot different than how Amazon works with their different vendors. But with Shop.co, you can order from multiple different sites at the same time!
The site will work with any US online retailer. Supposedly there are no exceptions to this; however you can read about my issues below. It is also very secure since they use bank level encryption. This was my husband’s concern, but since he loves his online banking, then he felt better about Shop.co.
Shop.co does not receive any money from your shopping. You don’t end up paying more for the items or pay any fees to them. In the future they will have ads on their main page. But it’s truly a way to make the online shopping experience better for you!
Once you download the extension at shop.co the icon will show up in the very top, right portion of your screen. It looks like a blue & navy shopping cart. Once you click on the shopping cart, a banner on the right will appear with the “add to cart” button! Say you are shopping at Target, instead of using Target’s “add to cart” button you would use shop.co’s “add to cart” button. Now go to Nordstrom’s do the same thing; instead of using Nordstrom’s “add to cart” button you again would use shop.co’s “add to cart” button…etc. Once you are done shopping at various stores you just have to go to one place to check out which is Shop.co’s cart.
It takes some practice getting used to remembering to open the Shop.co extension. But I think that’s why my #1 item under the Pros section is so helpful. Getting into the habit for any new method, is half of the battle.
And sometimes, the extension even pops up automatically when you go back to an online retailer that you’ve purchased from before. This happened with me on a couple of the sites but not all of them.
For the sake of you, the readers, I even made sure I tested it. Not just once, but a couple of times, no less!! So I’ll give you my honest experiences and opinions! One of the items I purchased was this one shoulder top from Old Navy!
1. The biggie is that for the entire first month after you download the extension, you will receive free shipping from any site! Right now, you will be reimbursed by Shop.co for the shipping expense, but they are working to have it automatically applied in the future. Therefore, if there’s a site that usually puts you off due to their shipping fees, then this is the time to order from them!
2. Shop.co will find any promotion codes that are available for you and apply them to your purchase. You know, those quick extra discounts that you have to try to remember or end up writing down on a piece of paper, but can’t find it when you’re ready to check out?
3. You can add in gift cards and rewards to be applied to your purchase. I experimented with this detail for my shirt from Banana Republic below. I entered in the rewards number and it automatically took off the amount! The shirt ended up being under $15 with a 40% off, my rewards and (soon to be reimbursed) free shipping!
4. There is a fabulous order history on their site, so you can always look back on what you’ve ordered in the past.
5. I have found that after you shop at a certain store their promotional emails go directly into your Shop.co’s email box instead of your personal email. This means fewer emails clogging up your personal inbox and also having store promotional emails now located in one place.
1.The extension does not work for your mobile phones….yet! I know personally, I do most of my online shopping on my desktop anyways, since the photos are larger and I can see more. But the company is working to have it for your phone in the future.
2. I had an issue with trying to order from Vistaprint. When I went to proceed to checkout, there was a red box stating that the bot couldn’t finish this transaction. What I should have done was used the help button and chatted. But I was impatient, and just finished the online shopping trip on Vistaprint’s site. I’ve found out since, that for some reason the customization is what made it not work for the universal cart.
3. If you are an ebates customer, then your purchases made through Shop.co will not apply to your ebates rewards.
4. There is some lag time after you click to checkout while Shop.co is finalizing the transaction. This was not annoying to me, since I tend to be trying to do 10 things at once. While it was calculating the discounts and such, I just checked my emails and replied to comments!!
5. It can be a challenge to set up your account. I am used to playing around on all different websites, so I didn’t have an issue. But it’s a new site, so it’s not unusual to have a challenge or two but they are always working to make better. However, if you are having trouble, there is a 24/7 person in San Francisco at the other end. The help & support button is on the bottom left of the site after you sign up, and you can call them or chat!
Honestly, I think online shopping will be in all of our lives at some time. Being able to navigate through this new wave of shopping will certainly make your life easier. So download Shop.co extension today, and get started making your online shopping easier!
As a quick aside story, Nancy (the 60+ model on the blog) said to me that she looked everywhere (in the stores around our area) and couldn’t find any blush shoes. Haven’t you felt that way before? Because how many brick & mortar stores can you visit in one day? That’s one of the huge advantages of online shopping. You can find what you are looking for without leaving the house! And just so you know, I quickly sent 5 options of blush shoes to Nancy in an email, and she ordered a pair online!
Keeping in Touch
Are you registered for my email reminders to let you know when a post goes live? I’d certainly love it if you take the time to sign up and make sure all your friends sign up too!! There are other ways to follow my blog. Facebook readers can see my posts by liking my page. Or my Pinterest page has all of our outfits in a nutshell!
P.S. I will receive a small commission if you are kind enough to sign up for the Shop.co extension using my link. Even if you don’t want to take advantage of their free shipping for the first month, it might be advantageous to have this service available for your future online shopping trips!
PPS. If you enjoy testing out services and giving your feedback, Shop.co is willing to give you $25 to spend for you to fill out a survey about your experience after using it. Use this link to receive $25 added to your account once you sign up for the first 500 people only!!