Part of my goal for my site is to come up with options. Different color options. Different style options. All around variety with what you have in your closet.
That’s why I thought it would be fun to have 4 of us show different fashion styles for what to wear with a black skirt.
Quote of the day: “The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.” Dr. Charles Swindoll
I would consider a black skirt one of those wardrobe staples that are probably hanging in your closet as we speak. But do you always wear it with the same things? Or with the same color scheme? Heck, do you even wear it at all in our casual society?
You’ll see not only a wide range of what to wear with a black skirt, but you’ll see how there is also a wide range of versions of black skirts including assorted lengths.
Since black is considered neutral, then remember that ANY color can be paired with it. Some combinations will be more muted, while others will give you a lot of contrast. And even if black is not a good color near your face, wearing it on your bottom half is not an issue.
Insider tip: If your black has faded, you can always dye it black to make it more vibrant.
There is no shortage of past outfits shown on my site where we are talking about what to wear with a black skirt
Facts: Jodie’s Touch of Style is supported by my readers. I partner with affiliate platforms where commission may be earned based on your purchases. If you decide to buy anything I’ve promoted, I appreciate you using my link. These links help bloggers like me to fund the content that we provide, plus it tells companies that blogging marketing works. Thank you for your ongoing support.
Feminine Style: What to Wear with a Black Skirt
I’d like to welcome Laura as an occasional model. She is a trained forensic scientist who during the pandemic started making non-toxic soaps and has now expanded to a wide range of clean and natural products. Her company is called Scrub Studios, and she offers my readers a discount if you use code Jodie10.
Laura is showcasing a feminine vibe for what to wear with a black skirt. Yet there is also a slight yin/yang that she has incorporated which keeps it modern and fresh. Let’s discuss:
- The skirt is a pencil skirt but with pleats and is longer than Charlotte’s. The top has lace detail and a bow which gives it a girly vibe.
- Black and white together are very classic yet the purse and earrings bring in other shades.
- Laura’s footwear choice is sassy and not your run of the mill pumps.
- Check out the accessories. Her camo tote bag is the opposite of feminine and her earrings even have a boho vibe.
All of these points work together to give ideas of what to wear with a black skirt in a feminine way yet it’s not too girly or old-fashioned.
Classic Option For Older Women
Charlotte chose the classic style option for what to wear with a black skirt. Her original thought was to pair her skirt with a white blouse, but knowing how pure white can blend too much with her hair and complexion, she grabbed this red & white striped button down blouse instead.
Let’s talk about the classic details:
- A button down blouse is one of those items that our age groups consider a basic. On top of that, my mom paired it with a black, pencil skirt.
- Low heel flats that are patent leather are a perfect alternative for pumps.
- I would say that incorporating red into her accessories is very classic since there is red in the top.
- The one area that Charlotte gives a wave to jumping outside of the classic style is her zebra purse with the hot pink strap.
I also love the nod to her obsession with owls when you look closely at her earrings.
Black Skirt and Boho Style
Lesley has created a fabulous boho look with her black skirt. Her skirt is one of those maxis that has a bohemian vibe to start with. And then she added more elements that continued the effect.
You might not realize that years ago Lesley’s style was very conservative. In fact, that was a prompt she fashioned in the past.
Let’s break down Lesley’s look of how to style a black skirt in a style that is floaty and fun.
- Lesley kept the skirt and top both the same color to make it appear like a dress. The top itself has that boho vibe with the embroidery.
- To give the top some shaping, she even added a belt and then tied a scarf around the belt to give some vertical dimension and colorful elements.
- Here’s something you might not have noticed. Lesley has one of those faux hair scrunchies over her ponytail. They are such a cool way to make it look like you have more hair, and you can find them on Amazon.
Overall, this could be a fabulous look for every day if you switch out the shoes to flats. Or wear it as is for a date night.
Edgy & What to Wear with a Black Skirt
The edgy style is not something I see in many older women. Yet I think it can be a great way to feel rebellious about our age and realize that we still are a force to be reckoned with.
I’ll point out the details that I would consider edgy in my look:
- First off, leather is a material that is perfect for an edgy vibe. Even my mom and stepmom have faux leather skirts. I like my skirt, but after these photos, I cut off a couple of inches.
- Moto jackets are another item that was a rebel thing from our youth, so I incorporated that detail as a vest.
- The spikes on my sandals are a nod to grunge.
- My accessories included a pop of neon green and then mismatched earrings.
- The last aspect is the statement glasses. Anyone who needs prescription glasses might as well have fun with them and have all sorts of colors and sizes. This pair is from Zeelool.
I don’t think the outfit is too far away from a street-style look that could be seen in most places, and it could be easily transitioned to winter with combat boots and a moto jacket.
You should definitely sign up for the emails below. Besides the free eBook, my email family gets personal tidbits of what’s going on in my life along with other happenings, sales, information, giveaways, extra photos, and interesting articles.
If you’ve enjoyed this, I hope you will look around the site and…
- Find out more about the blog here. Including behind-the-scenes of our relationship here.
- You can see all the categories of past posts here
- Feel free to use any discounts or deals that I share here.
- Make sure to sign up for emails to enjoy fun features in every email PLUS get my recent eBook here.
- Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Pinterest.
- And if you ever want to reach out or have any requests, feel free to email me at JTouchofStyle@gmail.com
If you enjoyed any of this information, I would appreciate it if you would share, share, and share wherever you can!! You can do this by saving an image to your Pinterest board or sharing this post on Facebook. Or send this post to your friends, and make sure they sign up for the emails.
Welcome to Jodie’s Touch of Style. I’m here to prove that it’s never too late to look great. Clothing and style are meant to showcase your inner personality. So let’s have fun and try new things.
It’s not just about me on this blog, but also my mother and friend. We get to showcase not only different decades of life but also different body shapes and unique personal styles.